Monday, April 12, 2010

Vocabulary Lesson

Children's brains are like sponges, they soak up EVERYTHING. During the preschool years children are building a foundation for learning. They are learning basic math skills, reading readiness, primary scientific principals and they are learning new vocabulary!
Todays vocabulary lesson was on a very new term. I, in my own adult life, have heard this term several times in different situations but never once have I heard it used in preschool! We go through various stages of swear words and body parts, the occassional nonsense word but never this.
At snack a child announced that his dad has. . . are you ready??? You think you're ready but you're not. Okay, situate yourself. Breath deep. Okay.
His dad has "man boobs". Okaaaaayyyy.
I really tried to stay out of this one. For one I had no idea what to say and second of all I was too busy shooting water out my nose and laughing.
I was however surprised at the number of children who corrected him by telling him either that "men don't have boobs" or that "boys boobs are called pecks". The boy was assured that his dad, did indeed, have man boobs.
This became the insult of the day as well which resulted in several children approaching me and saying, "Teacher, (insurt random childs name here) called me a man boob"!
Once again I refer to the post entitled "Fair Warning". . . if you don't want it repeated, don't tell your kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment